Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pork Adobo


Adobo is a popular dish in Philippine cuisine. It is a stew that is slowly cooked with vinegar, soy sauce and garlic. Pork adobo, chicken adobo and combination of both are the most popular adobo. This is also a dish that can keep well without refrigeration (vinegar inhibits the growth of bacteria). Thus, it is a common dish served on feasts and packed for lunches and picnics.

Well, whenever I think of Adobo, I think of home. It is a comfort food for me and I'm sure for most Filipinos too. I don't know any Filipino who doesn't like adobo.

My favorite is pork adobo. My mom makes an amazing one. She always cooks by eyeballing the measurements of ingredients so I never got the exact recipe from her. After trial and error, I finally came up with my own concoction. I hope my mom will be proud of this.

INGREDIENTS :
 1 lb country-style pork ribs, bone-in (I prefer this because it has a little fat that makes it moist when  cooked), cut into 1 1/2" cubes
  *** substitute with a whole chicken, cut up
 5 peeled hard-boiled eggs
 4 med potatoes, quartered
 2 tbs vinegar
 1 small head of garlic, peeled and smashed
 5 Tbs soy sauce
 2 dried bay leaves
 1/2 tsp peppercorn
 1 Tbs brown sugar
1/4 C water


1. Combine all the ingredients except the hard-boiled eggs and potatoes.
2. Let it boil and turn down the heat. Let it simmer for an hour or until meat is tender. You can add water if sauce is starting to dry up. Don't forget to taste and adjust seasoning.
3. Add the potatoes and the hard-boiled eggs making sure they are soaked through in the sauce. Cook for until the potatoes are tender and turn off the heat.
4. Don't forget to serve it with hot rice. Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment