Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lumpiang Shanghai (Fried Pork Spring Roll)


fried is good but lumpiang shanghai is really good.

I rarely cook fried food. This one is an exception. It is my family's favorite. My husband is not a big eater but when I serve this dish, it's always a hit. He will devour it.

One key ingredient is the spring roll wrap. I use the "Spring Home" brand (see photo below) which is the best that I've used so far. Unfortunately, my local grocery does not sell it. So when we take a trip to Chinatown, I buy a couple or more and store in the freezer.

Of course, don't forget the dip...sweet and sour sauce. Making lumpia is quite a lot of work with all the chopping, wrapping and frying so I prefer using the bottled spring roll sauce. It is as good as the homemade version.





INGREDIENTS :
42 pcs spring roll wrappers
1 1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb shrimp, shelled, deveined and chopped
2 med carrots, minced
3 cloves garlic
2 eggs, slightly beaten
5 tbs chopped onion
3 tbs soy sauce
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 stalks green onion, minced
vegetable oil for frying

1. Combine all ingredients except oil and spring roll wrapper.
2. Using a teaspoon, scoop a mixture and lay it on the wrapper in a cylindrical shape. Wrap and moisten the end of the wrapper with water.
3. Place 3 inches of oil in a pan and heat. Fry lumpia in medium heat for about 7-10 minutes.Do not crowd the pan.
4. Drain in a plate with paper towel to remove excess oil.
5. Serve hot with sweet and sour dip.

TIP: In case you have a leftover, lumpia loses it's crispiness after a day. Warm it in an oven for 10 mins at 300C and it'll be crispy again

No comments:

Post a Comment